24 June,2016

Dear President,

My name is MCL. I’m a future student of the Chico State University. I am writing this letter to you regarding an issue that is affecting all of the students. As first generation students, what we fear most is that we won’t be able to afford it. Tuition is high, and with the increasing minimum wage to fifteen dollars per hour, most students are discouraged.

My family and I came to the United States in 2004 in pursuit of the American dream. We are finally doing a little bit better. I was able to secure a job for two years now. I work as a cashier in a fast food restaurant and get paid minimum wage. We understand that the goal of increasing the minimum wage to fifteen dollars per hour was to encourage and hopefully increase consumer spending to boost our economy. But as a minimum wage worker myself, I will have to disagree with this change. I noticed that when the minimum wage was increased from nine dollars per hour to ten dollars per hour, prices of goods and services also follow it. For instance, the cost of college tuition.

But that is not the main issue. Rather than that, raising the minimum wage is especially unfair for college students. We all go to college in hope of finding a stable job. They work hard and often don’t have enough sleep at times. Take one of the most stressful job, paramedic, for instance. Most took a risk and went to college, took all the required classes and programs to get their degree, and end up with thousands of dollars of debt, just to find out that they only make a few more dollars than minimum wage workers? This is absurd.  According to healthcare salary online.com, “the average EMT or Paramedic median salary is only $14.91 per hour. The lowest 10% earn $9.56 per hour and those in the upper 10% earn more than $25 per hour”. Because of that, many youths are actually discouraged and refuse to obtain a higher education because they feel that it is not worth it.

Thank you for your time. It’ll be hard to fix, and it won’t happen overnight, but we hope that you will try your hardest to solve this issue.

MCL

CC BY-SA 4.0 by Mai Chia Lor is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.