Dear President.

My name is Jasmine and I’m from a small, rural town in Northern California and I am a member of the LGBT community.  I’d like to write to you about a few issues that you’re going to face when you take office in January.  Before I do so, I’d like to introduce myself. An issue I have is the lack of basic human rights the government fails to provide people with.  What I mean by this is that some states are still allowed to discriminate against the LGBT community in ways that are completely unreasonable. For example, in most states, it is legal to refuse service to someone just because of their sexuality.  I understand that businesses have a right to refuse service to someone if they aren’t following the basic  rules “No shirt, No shoes, No service”  or if they’re causing a disturbance, but refusing service to someone because of their sexuality, something you can’t physically see unless they’re with their partner, is not only wrong but it’s inhuman because you’re telling that person that because they love who they love, they don’t deserve the same things as straight people. According to Northstate Public Radio, only 23 states have laws that protect us, the LGBT community, from discrimination.  Leaving the rest of the states to openly discriminate against us without punishment.  This makes it scary to travel or maybe go back home because, perhaps, their home state is one of the many that don’t have laws to protect them.

It’s too often that we see families torn apart because either a parent or other family gets deported.   Deportation should only happen to those who are breaking the laws or are doing illegal things.  Now, I understand that if people want to come to the United States, they should apply and go through the entire legal process.  But sometimes, they don’t have time to wait.  When my uncle came from Mexico, he was on a “Hit list” and if he would have stayed, they would have killed him. He tried going to the police, and they told him they couldn’t do anything about his situation except hope for the best.  Obviously he was scared, and he was quickly running out of time and options.  He ended up going to the immigration services.  When there, they basically locked him up for three months, claiming it was for his protection when in reality they thought he was trying to come over the border illegally.  As a family, we all prayed and hoped that he was okay.  We hardly ever got to hear from him, but when we did, we were glad he was okay.  After 3 months of him being locked up, immigration finally looked in to it.  My uncle was, in fact, on a hit list and it wasn’t safe for him to be in mexico.  This being said, it took 3 months for him to get his freedom back after it was taken away for just asking for help.  Others aren’t so lucky.  For others to even get considered to come to the united states, the waitlist is so long, some die waiting to come.  

There’s always going to be “illegals” in america.  Some are really great people.  For example, my dad migrated from Mexico to the united states when he was only 17 in hopes of a better life and a better job so that he could send my grandma money to help pay for things.  Upon getting here, he met my mom who was 15 at the time.  My mom got pregnant with me and my dad decided to leave.  I didn’t actually know my dad until i was about 2 years old and he came back asking my mom to move in with him because he got a nice house that we could all live in.  While he was gone, he was working his ass off to provide a better life for not only my grandma back in mexico, but for my mom and I.  Not all of us are bad people, we’re actually really nice people hoping to make a better life for our families.  In 2010, my dad started taking citizenship classes and English classes.  He would work during the days til about 5pm, and then go to his classes from 6pm-9pm.  I remember helping him study and teaching him english. We did this for about 2 years before he finally decided to take a leap and apply for citizenship in 2012.  I remember going to Sacramento on a saturday morning, and walking into the immigration building.  I’ll admit it was a little terrifying because my dad spoke broken English and he had to answer all his questions in English.  We were there for roughly 3 hours before his turn finally came.  I remember hugging my dad and wishing him good luck. 30 minutes came and went and finally, my dad came out of the room with a huge smile on his face,  he looked at me and said “I did it. I did this for you and your brother. I couldn’t have done it without you.” On that day, I realized that anything is possible if you put enough dedication to it.

Overall, we deserve to love who we want and we deserve the right to be able to provide a better life for your family.

Sincerely, Jasmine.

CC BY-SA 4.0 Love and Family by Jasmine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.