In the article, “Second Amendment” (Charles 2017) the central idea of the section titled “Origins and historical antecedents” is that the Second Amendment is not a new idea but instead has been around for a long period of time. One notable piece of supporting evidence can be identified in paragraph 1 as it states “The origins of the Second Amendment can be traced to ancient Roman and Florentine times, but its English origins developed in the late 16th century when Queen Elizabeth I…” This piece of evidence directly reveals that similar rights as the right to bear arms, which is granted via the Second Amendment, have been present in English history for the last hundreds of years. An additional piece of evidence to further this claim states “The political debate over the establishment and control of the militia was a contributing factor in both the English Civil Wars (1642–51) and the Glorious Revolution (1688–89).” This quote while supporting just how long the Amendment has been around further encases just the level of impact that the Amendment has had on Countries, so much so that it has led to wars. Lastly, a final piece of evidence that supports the claim is in paragraph 4 which states “ The framers of the U.S. Constitution undoubtedly had in mind the English allowance to “have arms” when drafting the Second Amendment.” This quote redirects the article to more recent and relevant history in the U.S. regarding the first incorporation of the Second Amendment in the states and how our Founding Fathers were influenced by the rulers of Britain.

After having read over the origins of the Second Amendment, I was left surprised and more aware of just how long the right to bear arms has been granted to mankind. Furthermore, this helped me put into perspective that the right to bear arms has been so closely intertwined in our collective history. As a result, it would be nearly impossible to eradicate or revoke the right after having been present for so long. Similarly, reading this article has helped me answer one of my research questions. The question being just how long the Second Amendment has been around.

As I continue to learn about the Second Amendment, one question I would like to further look into is how the use of guns has changed since the Second Amendment was first introduced to the U.S.

0
()