- There are many different mental disorders, with different presentations. They are generally characterized by a combination of abnormal thoughts, perceptions, emotions, behaviour and relationships with others.
- Mental disorders include: depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and other psychoses, dementia, and developmental disorders including autism.
- There are effective strategies for preventing mental disorders such as depression.
- There are effective treatments for mental disorders and ways to alleviate the suffering caused by them.
- Access to health care and social services capable of providing treatment and social support is key.
The burden of mental disorders continues to grow with significant impacts on health and major social, human rights and economic consequences in all countries of the world.
This article is all about mental disorders and what they do to the brain. Written by the World Health Organization, it is a pretty reliable source of information on all of these. They don’t go into every single aspect in this article, they go even more in depth in their respective fact sheets (found on the side).