Judge Memorial Catholic High School, Salt Lake City, Utah

When I was your age by Amy Ehrlich is about many different people, and how people can grow up differently depending where you are born. Arthur Ehrlich is an award winning author for books that include, Leo; Zack and emmie.She has also illustrated many books that are now award winning. The book has many short stories about people who have lived in all different parts of the United States, and how a few miles could be an entire environment or even a few years, can look different than someone else’s childhood. This book, in my opinion, is a good book to read. It is good to learn about how people grew up, and some good memories that they have. 

The book starts off with a girl, and she grew up living in the basement renting it out to the owners of the house. The girl hates the owner’s child because he always bothered her. She one day accidentally put acid in his eye but was happy because the kid wouldn’t bother her anymore. Although the story doesn’t really show everything she had to go through everyday, it did show that her family couldn’t afford a house while another family in the same area can afford the house. And the house must have been cheap because if one of the members really doesn’t like it then they would just have to power it through and live the life they were born in. And this does show some good happy ending because she would no longer be bothered.

There is another story that has a kid that has to move house to house because the parents aren’t financially able to keep a house, and move in with people at times. The problem that the parents find is that their kid is an intelligent being, and moving him makes him less interested in school because he doesn’t have friends. So the school helps the family so he will be able to stay at the school, which is a very wholesome thing to think about. This shows a lot of his character and how life is good even though there have been so many downs.

Overall, it is good to learn about how people grew up, and some good memories that they have. This book, in my opinion, is a good book to read.The book has many short stories about people who have lived in all different parts of the United States, and how a few miles could be an entire environment or even a few years, can look different than someone else’s childhood. 

0
()