Controlling Greed

Greed is one of the many things humanity has in common. Some show greed more than others. But, at some point in time we all experience greed for short and long periods of times. In my research, I came across an article by Rahul Singh called, How to Understand and Overcome Greed. To answer my initial question, how can we be less greedy?

I found that “ greed is nothing but the endless desire to get more and more things in life. Greed is what dictates our thoughts. If we aren’t cautious enough.” Greed is something that can’t be stopped we want bigger and better and once we obtain the things we desire we want more and more.

The article does give a solution to this troublesome problem, explaining “there is a good news. Greed cannot be satisfied, but yes it can be controlled. You can control your desires, and yet live a happy, peaceful and satisfied life.” The author goes along with this by saying, it doesn’t mean we have to give up important goals, but we have to be less ignorant in certain situations and realize the impact being greedy has on all.

After reading from this article I came across another article that gave a list of what factors drive greed, these factors included fear, negative experiences, misconceptions, and protection of oneself. The article goes into saying, “greed isn’t simply naked selfishness.” In conclusion people are greedy in different ways, and every person has different factors that impact how they can control greed.

Greed

How to Understand and Overcome Greed

Photo by Tracy O

CC BY-SA 4.0 Controlling Greed by Mayree is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

1. Profile photo of Valeria
    Valeria 6 months ago

Dear Mayree:
    I am mesmerized by your post, “Controlling Greed,” because it is something that isn’t really talked about but it is such a big problem in our society now and days.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I feel like I used to be so greedy when I was young. My dad got a pretty good job and he started buying us so many new and nice stuff. I started to want more and more, when my dad quit his job I was really bummed out because I wouldn’t be getting the things I wanted anymore but now I see I have calmed down and i’m not like that anymore.

2. Profile photo of Suzanna
    Suzanna 6 months ago

Very interesting topic. Do you think that greed can be society driven? Especially in very competitive societies like the US, where people will do anything to get more money and power. The more people have, do you think that causes people to get more greedy than people with less?